You’ve undoubtedly heard of leg elevation for treating injuries and healing post-operation, but did you know that a little bit of raising action can actually help you sleep, too?
Oh, it feels good to put your feet up at the end of the day. But do you know why? It’s not just in your head. Elevating your legs can promote better circulation, reduce swelling, and many other benefits.
There are many things you can do to get a better night’s rest, including sleeping with your legs elevated. Let’s take a look at how, and why, a leg elevation pillow can soothe you into a sweet slumber:
- Encourages better blood circulation: The goal of any good elevation pillow is to boost the body’s blood flow, which prevents blood clots, swelling, and pain. When you give the body the tools it needs for proper circulation, you’ll feel all-around better and will enjoy better sleep. Basically, keeping your legs lifted while you sleep gives your veins a much-needed break along with the rest of your body. Taken in tandem with other lifestyle changes such as regular exercise and wearing compression socks, using a leg elevation pillow can really make a difference for your circulation.
- Help in reduction of swelling: When the legs are elevated it aids in draining tensions from the legs and feet. This occurs as pressure is taken off the veins allowing for better flow from them to the heart and the rest of the body.
- Reduces leg and back Pain: When you spend all day on your feet, you mostly find yourself dealing with leg and back pain long after you get back home. With an improvement in circulation and reduced swelling, leg elevation pillows help significantly with aching legs or a hurting back.
- Take the pressure off your body: Depending on your sleeping style, whether it’s on your back, side, or stomach, it puts pressure on your body parts. Sleeping on your stomach makes it really difficult to keep your neck and spine straight, and it puts a lot of pressure on your muscles and joints. If you tend to curl up into a fetal position, sleeping on your side can impede your breathing and leave you feeling sore in the morning.
- Improve your sleep: Boosting circulation, reducing swelling, easing pressure on your joints, helping with back and leg pain–all of these factors combine for a better night’s sleep. Managing your aches can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, as well as increase the quality of your sleep. Also, elevating your legs is so comfortable you’ll probably find yourself snoozing away.
- Post-surgery recovery: Doctors tell you to take it easy for several days, or maybe even weeks or months. This bed rest is extremely important because it gives your body the energy it needs to recover and reduces your chances of disturbing the surgical site. However, lying around all day can really be difficult and even disturb your blood circulation further slowing down your recovery. Elevating your legs is a great solution to improving circulation while still limiting your movement during the recovery period.
Elevating your legs is one of the simplest things you can do for your health—you put your feet up and take a nap! Combined with other healthy lifestyle changes, using a leg elevation pillow can improve your health drastically.